Welcome back to our returning students and a warm welcome to all new students! You have been added to this listserv because you are registered for a Chinese course in fall 2014. I will be sending a weekly digest of information on events, scholarships, internships, and other opportunities related to Chinese language and culture that will also be posted to the:
We hope you will join us!
Friday, 9/12: Chinese Program Welcome Back Social
- Chat with students returning from the Flagship Capstone Year in China or one of many summer programs. (See, for example, the ICLP newsletter below.)
- Hillside Residence Hall Main Lounge, 3:00-4:30 PM (come anytime)
- Ice cream will be served.
Monday, 9/15: National Security Agency (NSA) Information Session
- Interested in working for the NSA? Learn about internship and career opportunities.
- IEP House Living Room, 12:00-1:00 PM
- Pizza will be served.
Events in Celebration of the Global 10th Anniversary of Confucius Institutes:
Wednesday, 9/24: "Art to Poetry to Music" An Exploration of Traditional Chinese Calligraphy, Chinese Guzheng Music, Poetry & Western Music
- The Confucius Institute at URI welcomes distinguished Chinese Calligrapher and Painter Dr. Hong Zhao to offer a free Chinese Calligraphy Lecture accompanied by Ms. Siwen Long on the Guzheng, and a University of Rhode Island Pianist, Violinist, Cellist and Narrators.
- Edwards Auditorium, 12:00-12:30 Reception, 12:30-1:30 Performance, 1:30-2:00 Q&A with the Artists
Friday, 9/26: URI Moon Festival Celebration with Zhejiang University's Wenqin Performing Arts Troupe
- Zhejiang University's Wenqin Performing Arts Troupe will perform a number of artistic pieces, including folk dances, martial arts, Chinese classical music, Peking opera, and more.
- Edwards Auditorium, 6:00-8:00 PM
- Performances by Zhejiang University's Wenqin Performing Arts Troupe and interactive cultural activities with the 5 New England Confucius Institutes.
- WaterFire Providence Steeple Street Stage (at the intersection of Steeple and Canal Streets), 6:30 PM - midnight