Welcome to our newest URI Chinese language learners, and welcome back to all returning students! With over 200 of you taking Chinese and a growing community of Chinese-speaking faculty, staff, and students on campus, we will be offering many opportunities for you to put your Chinese skills to use right here in Kingston during the 2013-14 academic year. We encourage you to take part in as many opportunities as possible and to create your own. Be sure to scroll all the way down to learn about our new Local Host Family Program!
Thurs., 9/5: Flagship Welcome Back Chat and Ice Cream Social
- 5:00-6:00 PM in the Hoffman Room in Swan Hall.
- For Chinese Flagship Students only.
- Returning Flagship students will share their experiences in China and at the Flagship Chinese Institute at Indiana University with the 2013 Cohort.
- 4:30-6:00 PM in Hillside Hall, Grand Lounge.
- For ALL students of Chinese, regardless of class year.
- Network with faculty who teach Asian Studies courses, faculty who conduct research in China or Taiwan, and Chinese-speaking faculty from a variety of academic disciplines campus-wide.
- Refreshments will be served.
Mon., 9/16: U.S./International Career Preparation Workshop I
- 5:00-7:00 PM, IEP House Living Room (67 Upper College Rd.)
- For all students of Chinese, regardless of class year.
- DB and IEP/Chinese Flagship staff will lead this workshop.
- Learn how to write effective resumes and cover letters in both American and international styles, and how to prepare for interviews and assessment centers in the U.S. and abroad.
- Learn how to start your resume in different formats for different purposes (jobs/countries), then bring your completed resume to Workshop II for feedback.
- Pizza will be provided.
Thurs., 9/19: ROTC & Languages Information Session
- 12-1 PM
- Stay tuned for more info.
Mon., 9/23: Sensata Company Visit
- 12-1pm, IEP House Living Room (67 Upper College Road)
- For all Chinese IEP/IBP students.
about internship and job opportunities at Sensata Technologies in
Attleboro, MA and worldwide. Hear about IEP alumni paths to success with
- Pizza will be served.
- 12:00-1:00 PM in the IEP House Living Room (67 Upper College Rd.)
- Learn about internships & careers with the NSA.
- Pizza will be served.
Thurs., 9/26: U.S./International Career Preparation Workshop II
- 1-3pm, IEP House Living Room (67 Upper College Road)
- For all Chinese Flagship and IEP students, regardless of class year.
- National Security Agency (NSA) and IEP/Chinese Flagship staff will lead this workshop.
- Bring your resume! Meet with representatives from the NSA one-on-one to learn more about jobs and internships, and have your resume critiqued.
- 5:00-6:00 PM at URI, location TBD
- See below for more information and to apply.
Sat., 9/28: Moon Festival Celebration
- 6:30 PM, Edwards Auditorium
- More information to follow
Local Host Family Program:
- Apply to be matched with a local Chinese-speaking host family by September 15 (contact Erin for application).
- For ALL students of Chinese
- Students and families commit to meeting once per month, during which time they speak only Mandarin Chinese, for the entire 2013-14 academic year.
- A matching event will be held on Sat., September 28 from 5-6 PM prior to the Moon Festival Celebration.