Please note the following upcoming events and deadlines for funding to study in China next summer or academic year. Stay connected: Visit the Flagship blog and like us on Facebook.
Apply to the URI Chinese Flagship Program!
- Achieve Superior Proficiency in Mandarin Chinese with certification from The Language Flagship! Complete your Capstone Year in China in the 4th or 5th year!
- If you are currently enrolled in CHN 101 or 102, register for CHN 112H M-F 8am.
- Plan to attend the Flagship Winter Immersion Program Jan. 6-17, 2014.
- Please speak with your instructor or one of our Student Ambassadors for more information!
Upcoming Events & Deadlines:
Mon., 11/18: URI Fellowships Info Session: Udall Scholarship
- 3:30-4:30pm, Lippitt Hall 303
- Targeted to sophomores and juniors (or students who have at least one full academic year of study remaining) committed to careers related to the environment (e.g., science, policy, engineering, economics), tribal public policy, or Native American health care
- More info: http://www.udall.gov/Our
- The Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program offers fully-funded summer language institutes for U.S. university students and is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State.
- Available for study of Chinese (intermediate or advanced level) and other critical languages (If you are in 103 or higher now, consider applying!)
- More info: www.CLScholarship.org
Wed., 11/20: URI Chinese Speech Contest Registration Deadline
- Registration form attached.
- Dec. 4, from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm in Pastore 124
- Reception will begin at 3:30. Sponsored by the Confucius Institute and the URI Chinese Program.
- Winners will have a chance to participate the Chinese speech contest in NYC.
Tues., 12/10: Demers Foreign Language Fellowship Info Session
- 3:30-4:30pm, Swan Hall Auditorium
- Targeted to students from any field of study dedicated to foreign
language learning and interested in studying abroad to
pursue foreign language proficiency
- More info: http://www.rifoundation.org/Sc
holarships/ScholarshipFellowsh ipOpportunities/BeatriceSDemer sForeignLanguageFellows/tabid/ 838/Default.aspx
- Open to undergraduate students currently enrolled in a Flagship Program
- See link above for guidelines.
- DVDs must be submitted to Asst. Director Erin Papa by February 2, 2014 at 12:00 PM.
Other Scholarships for Study in China:
Chinese Tea Time: 2 Mondays and a Tuesday!
Join your fellow students, faculty, and native speakers from around campus for an hour of informal conversation in Chinese. Come with a friend! See flyer below and on the blog.
- Mon., 11/13, 3:30-4:30 PM: Learning a New Language: What are your strategies?
- Mon., 11/25, 3:30-4:30 PM: Survival Chinese: Preparing for China
- Tues., 12/3, 5:00-6:00 PM: Food Cultures of China and the U.S. - Food will be provided!
- Hillside Residence Hall Main Lounge (Chinese LLC)