Dear Students, Faculty, and Friends of the Chinese Program:
Summer is coming, so start thinking about scholarships and sunshine! And make a commitment to increasing your Chinese proficiency in a relaxed environment at Chinese Tea Time on Tuesdays 3:30-4:30 in Hillside Hall! Stay connected: Visit the Flagship blog and like us on Facebook.
- URI Summer Session Courses to be Offered: CHN 101, 102, 103, 104, 205, 206 (Registration for URI Summer Sessions opens Monday, Feb. 24.)
- Chinese Language & Culture Program in Hangzhou, China: July 2-August 1, 2014. Students who choose this program are strongly encouraged to take a Chinese course in URI Summer Session I in order to complete the equivalent of one year of Chinese this summer. Students currently enrolled in CHN 101, can opt to participate only in the Hangzhou program to complete CHN 112 and be on track for CHN 103 in the fall.
- URI Chinese Flagship Immersion Program: May 26-July 18, 2014. For students in the Chinese Flagship Program, who are enrolled in CHN 112H in spring 2014 or who have a Novice High/Intermediate Low proficiency level from URI or another institution. Priority deadline: March 1; Final deadline: April 1. Apply today!
- Flagship Overseas Summer Programs for students in Flagship CHN 216H and above.
Upcoming Scholarship & Contest Deadlines:
Sat., 3/1/14: URI Flagship Scholarship Application Deadline
- For students enrolled in the URI Chinese Flagship Program for funding in summer 2014 or the 2014-15 academic year.
- Up to $3,500 for domestic summer study, $7,000 for overseas summer study, and up to $15,000 for the Capstone Year in China.
- More info: uri.edu/chineseflagship/
- Submit: Application form, letter of application, and current resume as a single pdf by 3/1 at 4:00pm to email@example.com.
Sat., 3/15/14: Women in Engineering Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship awards will range from $250.00 to $1000.00.
- Application must be postmarked by March 15, 2014.
- Click the link above for details and link to application.
- Deadlines: April 11, 2014 (for summer-start programs); June 27, 2014 (for fall-start); mid-November (for spring-start)
- Website: http://www.
- FGS invites applications from any level of student with a 2.5+ GPA who is planning to participate in a program abroad, including for a short-term/summer, semester, or year abroad, or a service-learning, internship, or research experience. In addition to the general Foundation for Global Scholars Scholarship, the Foundation awards Financial Need Scholarships (for Pell Grant recipients), STEM Scholarships (for students majoring in the sciences, technology, engineering, or math), and Ethnically Diverse Student Scholarships.
- Space is limited; register today at: ICVirtualFair.com
Federal Internship Opportunities Resource:
- For students interested in pursuing an internship in any federal government agency, i.e. Department of Energy, Department of State, Department of Transportation, Supreme Court, etc.
- Internships, Fellowships, and Other Work Experience Opportunities in the Federal Government: http://
www.senate.gov/CRSReports/crs- publish.cfm?pid=%26*2%3C4Q% 2CO%3F%0A
3/17: International Education Intern - Brown Choices Program - Application Deadline:
- For graduating seniors or Bachelor's degree holders with an interest in secondary education and international education
- 1-year commitment
- Paid position
Other Scholarships for Study in China:
Tomorrow, 2/14: Chinese Ink Painting
- 3:30pm in the Multicultural Center
- Lecture and interactive painting demo by Mr. Yun Yang, Master of Chinese Ink Painting
- Snacks will be provided.