Chinese Tea TimeSpring 2014 EventsScholarship and Award Deadlines
Chinese Tea Time - Now on Tuesdays! (All-levels Conversation Hour)
Hillside Residence Hall Main Lounge in the Chinese LLC
3:30-4:30 PM on Tuesdays
- 1/28/14: Chinese Tea Time Topic - Study abroad in China! Zhejiang exchange, Nanjing Flagship Center, Winter Program in China 2014, etc.
- 2/4/14: Chinese Tea Time Topic - Spring Festival
- 2/11/14: Valentine's Day, both Chinese and American
Save the Date for Spring 2014 Chinese Program Events:
Fri., 4/11/14, 3-5 PM: 汉字酷 (Chinese Character Competition)
(More Detailed Info to Follow):
- URI Summer Session Courses to be Offered: CHN 101, 102, 103, 104, 205
- Chinese Language & Culture Program in Hangzhou, China: July 2-August 1, 2014. Students who choose this program are strongly encouraged to take a Chinese course in URI Summer Session I.
- URI Chinese Flagship Immersion Program: May 28-July 18, 2014. For students in the Chinese Flagship Program, who are enrolled in CHN 112H in spring 2014 or who have a Novice High/Intermediate Low proficiency level from other institutions.
Upcoming Scholarship & Contest Deadlines:
Fri., 1/31/14: Demers Foreign Language Fellowship Application Deadline
- For intensive language study (ideally abroad) in Summer 2014, Fall 2014, and/or Spring 2015.
- Targeted to students from any field of study dedicated to foreign language learning and interested in studying abroad to pursue foreign language proficiency
- More info: http://www.rifoundation.
org/Scholarships/ScholarshipFe llowshipOpportunities/Beatrice SDemersForeignLanguageFellows/ tabid/838/Default.aspx
Sun., 2/2/14: The Language Flagship Student Video Competition
- Open to undergraduate students currently enrolled in a Flagship Program
- See link above for guidelines.
- DVDs must be submitted to Asst. Director Erin Papa by February 2, 2014 at 12:00 PM.
- Deadlines: April 11, 2014 (for summer-start programs); June 27, 2014 (for fall-start); mid-November (for spring-start)
- Website: http://www.
- FGS invites applications from any level of student with a 2.5+ GPA who is planning to participate in a program abroad, including for a short-term/summer, semester, or year abroad, or a service-learning, internship, or research experience. In addition to the general Foundation for Global Scholars Scholarship, the Foundation awards Financial Need Scholarships (for Pell Grant recipients), STEM Scholarships (for students majoring in the sciences, technology, engineering, or math), and Ethnically Diverse Student Scholarships.
- Are you an academic leader in the Chinese Flagship Program?
- Would you like to help first year students succeed?
- Apply to the 2014-14 Flagship RAM for the Chinese LLC in Hillside Hall!
- Apply at: https://sites.google.com/
Federal Internship Opportunities Resource:
- For students interested in pursuing an internship in any federal government agency, i.e. Department of Energy, Department of State, Department of Transportation, Supreme Court, etc.
- Internships, Fellowships, and Other Work Experience Opportunities in the Federal Government: http://
www.senate.gov/CRSReports/crs- publish.cfm?pid=%26*2%3C4Q% 2CO%3F%0A
3/17: International Education Intern - Brown Choices Program - Application Deadline:
- For graduating seniors or Bachelor's degree holders with an interest in secondary education and international education
- 1-year commitment
- Paid position
Other Scholarships for Study in China: